- However, the bowling arm is unquestionably, “performance enhancing”. Their use is a definite advantage over the majority of able bodied bowlers, in always being able to find and deliver on the correct line required more frequently.
- Ridiculous as it may sound, over a period of around 5 years, I have witnessed ‘arm’ bowlers deliver almost a 98% success rate on their line accuracy (of those experienced in their use) compared to the able-bodied line accuracy in the same matches, rating perhaps around 65%-70%. That’s a huge difference, and too big a gap just to be a coincidence over such a sustained period of time. It can no longer just be ignored.
- So, it’s now time to introduce a regulation to bring the mechanical arm bowler back to an even playing field and take away this huge performance-enhancing advantage.
- The fair way to deal with this, without unduly penalising the ‘arm’ bowler, is to increase the bias on the bowl that the mechanical-arm user chooses, which is currently mostly of the skinniest variety. Make it a regulation that if a mechanical-arm is being used, then the bowler cannot use a bowl with a bias narrower than say the old ‘Classic-2’ or ‘Maestro.
A press release issued by Aero Bowls said: “Aero Bowls Limited was launched in the UK in April 2013. The brand has gone from zero to becoming a key player in the UK marketplace where it has brought more colour and innovation to the game as well as putting back into the sport through being the title sponsor of the Bowls England National Championships and the sponsor of the Love Fisher Brown Award. Aero remain the brand leader in Australia where the bowls are made with ever increasing sales. You can read the entire Bowls International story here.
The defining features of this approach are:
- continued use of sand top-dressing as a feature of the annual renovation program.
- routine use of preventative fungicides to control turf disease
- routine use of inorganic, mineral fertilisers to provide growth in otherwise inert soil conditions
This article has a great deal of practical and useful information. You can read this interesting article here.